Monday, November 12, 2012

Product Review: Raw Revolution Organic Live Food Bars

Product Review: Raw Revolution Organic Live Food Bars {Gluten-Free + Vegan + Kosher}

Over the last few months I've been conscientiously trying out raw foods--including homemade Watermelon-Tomato Gazpacho and raw zucchini pasta, but also purchasable raw fare like GO RAW's Carrot Cake Cookies and Sprouted Sunflower Seeds.  What I hadn't yet found and was looking for as a pre- or post- gym snack was a RAW food bar that appeared (to me) both nutritious and yummy.  
Photo from rawrev.com

Then, I found Raw Revolution's Organic Live Food Bars.  Gluten-Free, Vegan, Kosher, Organic, and Peanut-Free (for those of you with peanut allergies!) these bars come in a range of amazing flavor varieties including:

  • Golden Cashew Organic Live Food Bar
  • Heavenly Hazelnut Chocolate Organic Live Food Bar (my favorite!)
  • Spirulina Dream Organic Live Food Bar
  • Almond Butter Cup Organic Live Food Bar
  • Apple Cinnamon Organic Live Food Bar
  • Cherry Chocolate Chunk Organic Live Food Bar
  • Chocolate Coconut Bliss

My foray into Raw Revolution's Organic Live Food Bars involved munching down on their Golden Cashew, Heavenly Hazelnut Chocolate, and Spirulina Dream Bars and I enjoyed them all!  

I have no doubt that the other flavors on offer as as good as the ones I've tried.  I'm a chocolate lover (I know I'm not alone in this!) so the Cherry Chocolate Chunk and Chocolate Coconut  Bliss varieties are at the top of my list of things to try soon.  So, too, is the Apple Cinnamon variety which, now that the weather is cooling down, seems like a great Fall treat reminiscent of the iconic apple pie.


Nutritonal Information: Raw Revolution Organic Live Food Bar 

The Raw Revolution Organic Live Food Bars are about the standard size of any other food bar you can buy--raw or not--about 2 oz.  But, unlike  many of the food bars on offer they are USDA certified organic and contain no preservatives and no artificial ingredients (hurrah!).  Moreover, their packaging proudly boasts that they do not contain refined sugars or proteins.  

Using the Spirulina Dream variety as my sample for nutritional data, nutritionally, these bars pack Omegas 3 and 6 as well as 3 grams of fiber and 7 grams of protein (more or less depending on the variety of bar you choose).  Their caloric, fat, and carbohydrate levels are fairly high at: 230 calories, 14 grams of fat, and 23 grams of carbohydrates per bar.  

But, these little bars are meant to be fuel for athletes and people on the go who need this balance of carbs, calories, and fats to make their activities possible.  No wonder, then, that professional athletes Brian Lopes (professional Mountain Bike Racer) and J.P Walker (professional Snowboarder) endorse the product and appear prominently on Raw Revolution's website.  

I certainly felt no lag in energy and no uncomfortable tug of hunger when I snacked on these bars in the morning prior to heading to the gym to do my own workouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment